Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Unable to send an email as another user (in Microsoft CRM)

I had this problem a while ago which I'd posted on a couple of CRM Newsgroups, I never got a response and I'd all but forgotten about i. However I had another user post on the question today which prompted me to submit it to Microsoft to see if I could get it sorted out.

Here's the Issue :-
I am trying to send a direct email template as another user and I am having issues. There issue is to do with assigning as another user. Here is the process that I am following.

  1. I select the records (contacts or accounts) that I wish to send the email to.
  2. I select Actions -> Send Direct E-Mail
  3. I select the appropriate template that I wish to send
  4. I select the Option to Send Direct e-mail to: Selected Items on this page
  5. I select the magnifing glass at the right of User/Queue: to select the Send direct e-mail from: field
  6. In the Look Up Records Window I select the Go button and I see only my own Username.

No matter of searching (ie entering correct user names or wild characters) will result in another User Name being displayed.I have tried adding Users to Teams/Territories they are all in the same Business Unit. I have tried from a System Administrator account however none of these have resulted in another user being displayed.


This is the response on the problem :-
This functionality is actually by design the way it is working. As a logged-in user, you can only make the “From” field be populated by the user himself or any queue that the user has access to. Therefore, the lookup button is for the user to choose whether he wants to send the email using his own account or if he wants to use a queue that he has access to. The most logical explanation that I can think of is because of security reasons (e.g. you do not want other people to use your name to send their emails). Currently, there is no way to change the user from which the email is sent. Only the user which you are logged into CRM can be the sending user.
Unfortunately the option is to use a Queue as an alternative.

No comments: